Saturday, November 17, 2012

Rebuilding

   Around here, rebuilding means many things. Some people are rebuilding their homes. Some are rebuilding their businesses. Many are rebuilding their communities. Still others are rebuilding themselves. The destruction took a toll on everyone here. There are those who scoff at the ones who "only lost electricity" or "just lost a car". We all lost, and we all have to find our own way back to normal, in our own time.
     I am eternally grateful that I "only" lost cars, personal property and heat and hot water. I have so much that I did not not lose. I did not lose my family, my hope or my job. I still have a place to go and focus each day. I still have a place to come home to and lay my head. And, I still have the people I most treasure to laugh and cry with. Yes, it's been hard. No, I am not perfect. Far from it. I get jealous and petty at times, just like everyone else.
    Everyday, people surprise me with their humanity, humility and resilience. People pitching in to rebuild not only their own homes but those of families, friends and strangers. People donating food, supplies and time to make our beloved city whole once more. I hope that my small crusade to feed the families of the Rockaway peninsula (and Gerritsen Beach last week) has made a difference in someone's life.
    If you believe in Karma, and I do, you will know that when you do good, it comes back to you in spades. This past week, I posted a project request on DonorsChoose.org for adaptive seating for 3  of my students. The project cost over $425. I was not really too sure that it would get funded. There are so many DonorsChoose.org projects. There are so many worthy classroom ideas, and so many students hit hard by the Hurricane. I really didn't think that my project would get much notice. Well, amazingly and shockingly, my project got funded in less than a week! Several of the donors were parents from my class, which was amazing, generous and unnecessary, but fully appreciated. Other donors wrote that they wanted to help students with special needs. (Let's face it, we ALL have special needs at some point in our lives.) And the final donors wanted to help SSS victims. Wow. What awesome people in this world! Karma? You bet!
    As the weeks progress, my family is rebuilding as well. I was having nightmares, waking up screaming. I believe they have passed now. My sons seem happier, and they are relieved to be back in their routines. The kindness of my coworkers that continue to drive us home each day can never be repaid, but I will try.
   The good news is that my husband was able to purchase an old car from a friend. Is it new? Nope. Is is pretty? Pretty Ugly. Is it fuel efficient? Was the space shuttle? But, it is transportation to get the family moving and independent again. More rebuilding. More moving in a positive direction.
We are healing.

 
To help send food to displaced families and volunteers, call
Pizza D'Amore (718) 531-2333.
Donations are always gratefully accepted.
 
To help classrooms affected by SSS go to http://www.donorschoose.org/sandy?max=50
 
 


Next: ??

No comments:

Post a Comment