Tuesday, November 13, 2012

After Effects and Back to School

   Thus far, I have been writing this in chronological order, based on my personal experiences. While I was focused on my own little world, so many other things were going on.
   My sister's family was now, for all intents and purposes, homeless. Although much of their house still stands, they will never be able to live in it again. Too much damage. Through the kindness of her friends, they did not have to go to a homeless shelter or live on the street. Obviously, I was terribly concerned about them, but she was trying to make the best of it for her kids. I would have welcomed them into my home, no questions asked. Glad she had choices and made the one best for her family.
    My brother's family lived with our parents for a week. Finally, their electricity, along with heat, returned and they were able to go home. That was a relief. You do what you can for family, but people want their own space. Kids need to be in their own schools and in regular routines whenever possible. And, my mother, as a 4 time cancer survivor, needed her privacy as well.
     My friends were still living together. Part of my friend Lauren's house will be saved, and the rest will be gutted and redone. They still do not have heat or hot water, but they have an alternate, comfortable place to stay and the 2 older children are in their own schools. Other friends are pitching in to help care for her youngest during the workday.
     Our friend Lisa is amazing! Not only did she welcome Lauren and her family in with open arms, she also welcomed many other displaced souls. When the need is high, people show their true colors. Lisa is the truest of the blue, with a golden heart.
     During the darkest days following SSS, I learned through Facebook that my younger son's former nursery school had been flooded, and therefore destroyed. I cried for that loss. It was a warm, loving place for him while he attended. We know and love the owner and her assistants. We see them around the neighborhood often, and we always stop to chat. Although my children are far too old to attend anymore, just the thought of that school not existing for other children was heartbreaking. Through the goodness of her current and former students' parents, the school will reopen. She has arranged to hold her classes temporarily in an local dance studio. Parents are donating books, toys, furniture, you name it, to help get the school back up and running! It feels like victory!
     Many of my coworkers suffered devastating loss. A close friend of mine lost a lifetime full of memories of her deceased husband. It was like losing him all over again. Her basement flooded and she lost priceless, irreplaceable photographs of her parents and grandparents. Beyond heartbreaking.
     Another friend lost 3 cars and the bottom portion of her house. Til today, she still has not had electricity, heat or hot water restored. How does a family live like this? Her biggest concern? Her small dog. How will he stay warm when the temperature drops? Selfless.
     I learned that a coworker with an empty apartment in her house opened her door to dozens of people. She offered a warm place to stay and a hot shower to use. Indefinitely. Beautiful.
     Still thousands of others, who I do not know, but feel a kinship with, suffer. Many areas that were hit by SSS have unsafe water. Can't drink it, can't bathe in it. Not safe to boil, even if they had stoves to use. The Red Cross has been delivering clean drinking water to these areas. Scary.
     These are just a small glimpse of the outside world in the week following SSS. I knew some of this, but not most. People were just starting to come back together and exchange "war stories". That's exactly what it felt like, war. One coworker actually shipped her daughter to Nashville, to stay with relatives, while the house was still unlivable. She and her husband could be flexible and deal, but they would not expect it of their 9 year old. She needed stability and fun. And a warm bed. And hot meals. Her parents know this is temporary, and the best situation they can give their child right now. Responsible.
       I was both excited and nervous to return to school and be with my students on Monday. I was anxious to see that they were all OK, both mentally and physically. I wanted them to know that whatever they had endured, I would help them through. But, as I said, I was nervous. Would I cry in front of them? I would try not to. Would they all return? I was praying they would.
     As class started that first morning back, I was quite relieved to see most of those smiling faces sitting right where they belonged. I was concerned for the  ones that didn't return. My anxiety was soon quelled by the other students. They had stories of their own, but the most important ones to me were the ones telling me that my five absent students were A-Okay. The usual stomach bugs, runny noses and in one case, a long planned family vacation, kept them away. What a relief!!
      The war stories from the kids were heartbreaking...again. They told tales of lost cars, homes, personal belongings and businesses. But, the silver lining in that cloud was that families were still intact and they were all still going to be in our class through the end of the year. It felt so good, so NORMAL to be back with my students. I was there to listen. If they needed to cry, I held the tissues. We laughed, too. That's what children do. The day flew by. I was continuing to heal.
      As I met coworkers in the hallways and the office, the stories were more of the same. People had family that were effected by the storm. Everyone had lost something in the storm, even if it was just electricity. The most overriding fear was the lack of gas. People travel to work by car. How long could they continue to come in to work if there was no gas to buy?
      We still had no car. It wasn't the end of the world, but it presented difficulties. I was dreading walking my sons over a mile each morning, through the tree strewn streets, to school. As I have said before, the goodness of people just can not be measured. Two mommies from my older son's class volunteered to pick me and my children up in the mornings and drive us to school! Wow! Now, I would normally beg off. I wouldn't want to put them out. But, because my children would benefit, I happily accepted. Of course, because they both drive large SUVs, now my sons want that to replace our sedans that were destroyed. Tough luck, kids.
   Through all this, Pizza D'Amore continued to accept donations for food deliveries. They even stepped into the action. They began asking their customers to donate some as well. Many did. There would be more food for Rockaway! In all so far, we had made 6 hot food deliveries and have provided hundreds of meals. Nice.
     Just to make matters a bit worse, a snowstorm was heading our way. People were living in ruined homes, without heat. People were living without walls or roofs. The nights were pitch black. Looters and gas pirates were rearing their ugly, selfish heads. Snow was not a good idea! How much more could everyone take?

10 days after then storm, the electric company finally arrives on our block.
 
 
Some Rockaway kids enjoying the Pizza D'Amore fare on Sunday night.

Update: I saw a repost on Facebook tonight. One of the Gerritsen Beach, Brooklyn residents was requesting hot food for the families and volunteers in the area. They are still without heat, electricity and hot water. Thanks to your contributions, we will be sending them 10 pizzas and bottled drinks tomorrow evening. So glad to be able to help!! 



Next: Rebuilding

Call Pizza D'Amore to help feed displaced families and their wonderful volunteers! 718-531-2333

No comments:

Post a Comment