Friday, November 23, 2012

Being Thankful

   So after the turkey and potatoes and bread and corn and stuffing and dessert are gone, we are all left with full bellies, but hopefully fuller hearts. I spent Thanksgiving Day with part of my family. My sister and her husband and children were not there, and they were missed. They are still dealing with the mess left behind by the storm. We missed them, but we were glad they had somewhere to go, with friends who welcomed them as family.
   I thought long and hard about this post. I want to express all the right ideas and emotions, without being sappy or cliche. It's not easy. Obviously, I am thankful for my husband, kids, siblings, parents, and friends. I am thankful for the continuing health of my family. I am thankful we are all safe and have survived a terrible ordeal intact. I am thankful for the support of  family, friends and even strangers in the days and weeks since the hurricane. I am thankful for a warm bed to sleep in and food to feed my family.
    But there is so much more I am thankful for. One major thing in that category is my job. Not just having a job. I know that is a blessing in this economy, and many wish they had a job, any job. But, I am thankful that I am a teacher, in my school, with my class. After the storm, I was so happy to return to work. I heard people express relief to be back, to have a place to go. I was grateful to have THAT place to go. With warm, loving people who actually care about one another. With children who are happy to see me and I to see them.
      Background: Over the years, I have dealt with the pain of a chronic back problem. From time to time, I get flare-ups that literally paralyze me. I can not move part of my body, usually my neck and arms, for hours and sometimes days.
    Unfortunately, I had an occurrence on Sunday morning. As usual, it came from out of the blue, with no advance warning. My husband attributes it to stress. He may be right. I have never gotten a solid physiological reason from my doctors. I was in agony. It scares my children when it happens, so I try my best to find another excuse to be in bed all day long. (My excuses are transparent, they always know.) So, I did my usual routine of  heating pad, muscle relaxers and anti- inflammatory. This time, the pills did nothing to help the pain, but they did serve to make me dizzy and nauseous. Fun!
     For some unknown reason, I actually thought I would be able to go into work on Monday. (Have I told you I am ridiculously stubborn?) When I woke up in the morning, I knew that getting out of bed was impossible, so getting to school and caring for 27 kids was, well, out of the question. Of course, my students know nothing about my back issues. Why would they? But they knew that I wasn't in school. That bothered them. A lot.
     Luckily, by Tuesday morning, the meds did what they were supposed to and I was up and out the door on time. When my students saw me, the looks of joy and relief on their faces were priceless. Dare I say, worth the pain?
     So the things I am thankful in my life are numerous, and maybe a little sappy, definitely cliche. They are my reality. I could sit and feel sorry for myself for the pain I have to endure, the reason which elude myself and much of the medical profession. I could complain that I am underpaid and overworked, as most people are. I can even complain that I am still dependent on others for rides home each day.
     Instead, I chose to be thankful for my chosen career path and for the  people it brings me into contact with every single day.
From a recent fortune cookie
 
 
A good friend saw a video that I made in my quest to raise more money for food for the Rockaway families. She nominated me for a cash prize in an "random Acts of Kindness" video contest. it's a popular vote type of thing. A youtube "thumbs up" equals a vote. check out the video, and if you like, please give it a vote. Thanks!
 
 
Don't forget, Pizza D'Amore is still accepting donations.
718-531-2333
7 days a week 11 a.m thru 10 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment